I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonable block of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Wed Mar 16 16:38:17 UTC 2005

Andrew Lih said:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:58:20 +0000, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The 3RR was supported by comunity conmsensus. If you want to change it
>> get another consensus
>
> Text that was voted on says:
> "If you violate the three revert rule, sysops may block you for up to
> 24 hours."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Three_revert_rule_enforcement
>
> The policy provides authorization for blocking, but not much wisdom or
> guidance on whether to use it. Just wanted to note that page locking is
> also a viable (and less drastic) option for admins.

I dispute any suggestion that protection of a page is in any way *less*
drastic than blocking a user.  If a page is protected, *nobody* can edit
it.  If one or two over-enthusiastic revert warriors are blocked for up to
a day, only their potential edits are lost--and since they're likely to be
holding up editing by their reverts, their loss is often a very good
thing.