[WikiEN-l] I've added a note to the 3RR policy page

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:06:13 UTC 2005

Brian M wrote:

> I think your wording is a good addition, except for one point.
> As I have argued a few times on WP:AN, I think administrators should
> avoid second-guessing each other.   Therefore, I don't think people
> should be advised to go to a different administrator to unblock them
> than the one who imposed the block in the first place.   This just
> encourages people who have been blocked to  "forum shop" for the
> softest/friendliest admin they can find, playing administrators
> against each other.   It is clear that there is antipathy between some
> administrators, and people shouldn't be able to exploit this.

Yeah, rules lawyering and admin-shopping from the creatively antisocial
is likely to happen.

That said, they'd do it whether it was said there or not anyway, and
admins can't be expected to be on 24-hour call by email. And the wording in
that section should be simple and clear to those of good will, not a
legalistic horror festooned with "AND NO DON'T TRY THAT GETOUT EITHER" in
an attempt to head off those of less good will.

If we can come up with a really concise wording ...

- d.