[WikiEN-l] I've added a note to the 3RR policy page

Brian M brian1954 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:23:03 UTC 2005

I think your wording is a good addition, except for one point.

As I have argued a few times on WP:AN, I think administrators should
avoid second-guessing each other.   Therefore, I don't think people
should be advised to go to a different administrator to unblock them
than the one who imposed the block in the first place.   This just
encourages people who have been blocked to  "forum shop" for the
softest/friendliest admin they can find, playing administrators
against each other.   It is clear that there is antipathy between some
administrators, and people shouldn't be able to exploit this.

In the case where the 3RR violation is not disputed, and a person
wants to apologize, express contrition etc, he or she should do that
with the admin who imposed the block.    The scenario where A blocks
B, B expresses contrition to C, C unblocks B is not a good scenario.
It puts the admins into conflict, and undermines their roles.  Admins
should avoid this scenario if at all possible.

In the case where the blocked member wishes to dispute the 3RR block,
that should be done initially with the admin who imposed the block, so
that admin can recognize and reverse his own error,  and apologize if
appropriate to the blocked person, minimizing future bad feelings and
conflict.  Only if that fails should the blocked person be able to ask
a different admin to intervene.    The intervention in most cases
should be to leave the block in place but to open a discussion about
it on AN/I, so that a consensus can be formed about whether the block
was proper or not. Once a consensus is established, any admin can
implement it.

Brian (BM)