[WikiEN-l] Culture glut

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:11:41 UTC 2005

The "removal of content" aspect is the rub. What I'm planning to do
with the section on [[Nuclear weapon]] is to rewrite that section to
be more encyclopedic, mentioning a few *significant* cultural
additions (i.e. that [[Dr. Strangelove]] became the paradigmatic movie
and way of thinking about MAD; the way in which [[Godzilla]] became
the exemplar of "monster made huge by radiation" movies, coming out
just months after the [[Castle Bravo]] fallout incident which so
panicked the Japanese; the way in which [[The Day After]] is an
excellent example of "pathologization" of nuclear war which comes out
of the Reagan years; etc.) in a way which discourages "list making."

With any luck, if done well, nobody will realize or care that I cut
out John Travolta's [[Broken Arrow]] from the mix, and nobody will
think that adding a line about the Rush song is appropriate for the
section (without some justification of its importance, anyway).

I think these sections need to be snipped in the bud, or reformatted
into coherent lines of texts. Because once they are really list-length
(i.e. [[List of mad scientists]]) then there's not much that can be
done which doesn't seem like you are removing tons of content.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way, I was
feeling somewhat snobbish.

FF