[WikiEN-l] Pulling even with NYT, breaking 100

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:10:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:17:28 +0000, Theresa Knott <theresaknott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of these are handled using termplates. We could unprotect
> [[Template:In the news]] for example and keep the main page protected.
> This would stop the main page being moved but still allow non admins
> to make edits. Can templates be moved? it's only page moves that are
> too difficult to deal with by reverting.

As Slowking Man noted, the recent protection of those templates
followed a 15-minute-long goatsification of the main page.

> > We should find ways to distract and ward off immature kids that do not
> > restrict everyone else -- and we will!
>
> Practical suggestions please!

Sure thing.  My thought at the time was, that we could use some of the
following bits of code:

* an 'emergency mode' that redirects all visitors to a static
read-only snapshot of the site taken once a day
** or a text-only mode that only produces text

* a one-click or option for removing images. [Maybe 2 clicks, with
some kind of pop-up confirmation (javascript widget?) that doesn't
require rendering another whole WP-page].   That way, even when the
site is very slow, evil images can be deleted in under 15 minutes

Or, more generally,  Code + Image Policy:

++ Add an IMAGE REVIEW step that imposes a time delay (or requires
user approval) before any image can be displayed live on a page.
Until the delay is over, the image would simply be linked to.

http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-February/018903.html

--
+sj+