[WikiEN-l] Re: Page move vandal - there is a feature that can help with it ...

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Mar 8 19:26:31 UTC 2005

actionforum at comcast.net wrote:

>>>Although it's a prominent PITA, the page move vandalism is probably not
>>>presently bad enough to disable the last 10% of accounts from page moves
>>>as an emergency measure.
>>>
>>What if we lowered it to 1%. how many people would that affect and for
>>how long roughly? ( I take it that we are still growing
>>exponentially?)
>>

>How many users have EVER used move?  Why not disable it, and make it a sysop only function.  I don't think its meaning is intuitive, the only time I ever tried to use it was to reverse a vandal that had moved the page, and I think I botched it.
>                                                     -- Silverback

Moving is the recommended way of fixing a bad title, so we don't
want to discourage its use too much. Has anybody suggested a daily
limit, say five per day? Vulnerable to socks of course.

I wonder how users would like an automated status increase based
on activity; save one's 300th edit, and get a little note on
the talk page saying "Congratulations, you are now considered an
experienced editor, and have received the following new powers:
unlimited page moving and the ability to vote on deletions."
Like MMORPGs, always have a little carrot dangling out there.

"You have have reached 500,000 edits; you may now hard-ban your
foes simply by forming the thought." :-)

Stan