[WikiEN-l] Re: upto11.net

David Sabel david at sabels.org
Mon Mar 7 16:39:56 UTC 2005

Thanks for the quick reply.
<snip>
> 2) One very good approach would be to encourage _your_ user base to do
> useful
> work editing Wikipedia articles, create accounts, and _identify themselves
> as
> upto11.net members on their usage page._
> You can certainly create such a user page yourself. And Google does index
> Wikipedia user pages.
</snip>

1. Do you have an example of the type of user page you are suggesting? Is it
something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dsupto11 in structure?

<snip>
> 3) DO caution your user base _against_ inserting links to your site on any
> pages that are in the "main" name space--that is, in actual encyclopedia
> articles. This will raise hackles unless the link provides useful
> information
> that is very clearly pertinent to the article and is not easily found
> elsewhere.
</snip>

2. We definitely will discourage folks from linking, within a Wikipedia
article, to upto11.net, as that would be really confusing for users - the
link might go to the page they are on! We want our users to add to the main
encyclopedia articles, not promote upto11.

>From our FAQ

Q. What is Wikipedia?
A. It's an open-content encyclopedia that has been created by thousands of
people. The project's aim is to create a free encyclopedia, in fact, the
largest encylcopedia in history. Information about artists, albums and songs
that is presented on upto11.net is provided, in part, from the Wikipedia.
Q. What can I do to help make Wikipedia more successful?

A. Wikipedia is a collaborative effort that anyone can contribute to. Even
you. All you need to know is how to edit a page, and have some encyclopedic
knowledge you want to share. Visit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page to learn more
about how to contribute.

Q. What does the link "add to or edit this information" do?
A. Upto11.net encourages its users to become active contributors to the
Wikipedia project. If, in the course of your use of the upto11.net site, you
encounter a page with little or no content about a band, album or song that
you are familiar with, please click on the "add to or edit" link to share
that knowledge. Over time, the encyclopedia will grow and become more useful
to all users, especially to you, the music fan who enjoys using upto11.net.