[WikiEN-l] Re: upto11.net

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Mon Mar 7 16:13:42 UTC 2005

>From: "David Sabel" <david at sabels.org>
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] Introducing upto11.net - seeking advice
[snip]
>We just launched upto11.net, a music recommendations and search community
that integrates articles about musical artists, albums and songs.

>So far, I've added us to the Friends of Wikipedia page
>
>Are there othere pages where links might be appropriate? We'd like get the
word out to the Wikipedia community, but do it in a way that is appropriate.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>David Sabel

1) THANKS FOR ASKING. Good move.

2) One very good approach would be to encourage _your_ user base to do useful
work editing Wikipedia articles, create accounts, and _identify themselves as
upto11.net members on their usage page._ You can... let me phrase this
carefully so nobody will jump on me too hard... get away with a reasonable
amount of promotion on user pages, which can be personal chatty diaries or
pretty much whatever you want.

You can certainly create such a user page yourself. And Google does index
Wikipedia user pages.

3) DO caution your user base _against_ inserting links to your site on any
pages that are in the "main" name space--that is, in actual encyclopedia
articles. This will raise hackles unless the link provides useful information
that is very clearly pertinent to the article and is not easily found
elsewhere.

4) I was just on your site. Jeez, I wish Wikipedia were as fast. (Wikipedia is
having a bad day today... don't try to do anything with Wikipedia right now!)