[WikiEN-l] Rules, expertise, and encyclopedic standards

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Sun Mar 6 22:06:36 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>

>A natural consequence of allowing the Arbitration Committee seriously
>consider contents would be ArbCom elections based on such issues as
>where one stands in the Israel/Palestine conflict.

This is one way to construe 172's suggestions -- but it is not the only
way.  I certainly do not believe that the solution to conflicts over
content can come down to "you are right, you are wrong."  Surely there are
other ways.  here is one: a committee that would specialize in enforcing
policies concerning content, e.g. NPOV, No original research (which is not,
as Charles Matthews suggested, subordinate to NPOV, or it shouldn't
be.  They are equally important; neither one trumps the other).

This is clearly different from ArbCom which as members of ArbCom have made
abundantly clear deals only with conflicts between two or more users, and
matters of behavior, not content.  Although two users can and often do come
into conflict over NPOV or NOR, this is categorically different from the
kinds of conflicts ArbCom deals with.  ArbCom deals with violations of
certain policies (specifically behavioral) caused by a conflict between
users.  What I and I think 172 and SlimVirgin are talking about is
conflicts between users caused by violations of other policies (concerning
content).

Obviously in order to intervene in a conflict over NPOV or No original
research a committee would have to be very attentive to content.  But I am
sure that no matter what one's beliefs about Jesus, Zionism, or fascism,
experienced editors can reach an agreement over what does or doesn't
constitute NPOV or original research.

This might not resolve all of the issues 172 and SlimVirgin raise, but I
think it would go far to address some of them.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701