[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal on VFD: enforcement of nomination policy

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 00:34:12 UTC 2005

--- "Lauri Love (nsh)" <lauri.love at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:28:02 -0800 (PST), Rick
> <giantsrick13 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > But that's not what's being proposed here.  What's
> > being proposed is, if anybody coming into the
> > discussion thinks that the reason for the listing
> > isn't acceptable, they can just delete it from the
> VfD
> > page.  Why not just let it run its course, and
> vote
> > Keep?  Because radical inclusionists are afraid
> they'd
> > lose the vote.  ~~~~
>
> I don't think that whether we have an article on a
> subject or not
> should be decided by <s>popularity contest</s>mere
> majority/plurality
> voting. Should there not be visible and
> comprehensible principles that
> decide what is encyclopedic and what isn't? I don't
> think anyone (at
> least with any support) is proposing that people
> everyone should get a
> VfD veto, which is what your post implied, but
> rather that we don't
> let adding to the VfD page be something that can be
> done on a whim. If
> popularity was any measure, we'd have a million
> articles on celebrity
> trivia (_not a bad thing in itself_) and no articles
> in obscure areas
> of mathematics, or history.
>
> -nsh

The proposal is that anybody can come along and remove
a VfD listing if they disagree with the lister's
reasons for listing.  We have lots of people (SimonP
for instance, who began all of this) who think that
"non-encylopedic" or "non-notable" are not acceptable
reasons for listing articles.  But yet many, many,
many of the articles on VfD are listed for those very
reasons, and many, many, many of them pass consensus
vote.  This is an end-run by SimonP and the people who
hold the opinions he holds, to set their, and only
their, approval on VfD.

I believe it was SimonP himself (forgive me if I'm
wrong) who, in his position as sysop, was making
personal opinions on whether or not articles which HAD
consensus to be deleted, should remain in the
encyclopedia solely because HE did not believe that
the reason for listing was valid, even though there
were sufficient votes for removing the article.
Instead, he was deleting the completed votes without
deleting the articles in question.

RickK