[WikiEN-l] Strange fetishes

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 09:50:16 UTC 2005

------------- Original message --------------

> > Larry Sanger's advice (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/12/30/142458/25)
> > should be taken seriously while the project is still salvageable.
>
> I actually thought Larry had it wrong, basically. Not that deferring to
> those who know what they are talking about is wrong for WP - it is obviously
> the right approach for example for me, a generalist, to take in many cases -
> but that there was some way deference could be plumbed in to the wiki.

I too think Larry had it wrong.  While the wiki culture is anti-elitist, the encyclopedia
rules balance (perhaps overbalance) that with elitist rules such a "no original research",
as if experts and authorities know more than we do, or if someone else has said it,
then it is more important.  And while wikipedia may suffer some from lack of respect
from teachers, I suspect it is actually more useful than encyclopedias to  the students.
The best talk pages and articles present critical thinking on different sides of issues,
and perhaps represent non-establishment or lead edge thinking better than traditional
encyclopedias.  The fear that wikipedia may not be correct, may train students to
question "authority" and to verify sources.
                                          -- Silverback