[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Automatically checking for copyright violations

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:40:55 UTC 2005

>Seriously though, I have seen a case where a Wikipedian slapped a
>copyvio tag on something because it shared some phrases with a webpage.
>The author complained that he had spent hours reading multiple sources,
>and rewriting the information therein in his own words. That is
>unequivocally acceptable under copyright law, and the tag was soon
>removed.

I find it hard to believe that one could have accurately found the original
source of the text without the copy being copyright infringement, especially
if the author had actually used "his own words".  Of course, the specific
details are important, but to say that it is "unequivocally acceptable" is
grossly inaccurate.

I've also seen situations where an author has claimed to have spend hours
reading multiple sources and rewriting the information using his own words,
but then after looking at the page history it becomes obvious that he just
copied the words and then changed some of them.

>There's no need to be paranoid. We should be careful not to
>accuse people of plagiarism who are merely paraphrasing or rewriting.

Paraphrasing someone without attribution *is* plagiarism.  It isn't
copyright infringement, if you've done it properly, but it's still
plagiarism.  Even if you are only paraphrasing someone, you're supposed to
cite your source.

I'm not sure if it's feasible to identify the original source of a work by
checking phrases in an automated manner, but if we do in fact find the
original source of a work, and that source isn't already identified, we
absolutely need to do something.  Whether that means identify the source or
simply delete as a copyright infringement depends on both the similarity of
the two works and the license status of the original.

Anthony