[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitration Commitee Seeking Comment

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 8 02:58:06 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Steven-
>
>> I fundamentally disagree with Erik about the community vote.  We all
>> come to Wikipedia because we offer different things -- some people
>> know a lot about the Bible, others about Cricket, others about linux,
>> and so on.  We also all come here to learn things we do not know.  I
>> do not really understand quantum mechanics -- you really think I
>> should vote on whether content is accurate or not?  I do not know the
>> physics literature -- you really think I can vote on the repute of a
>> given source?
>
> You appear to be operating under the assumption that someone not
> interested the least in quantum physics would participate in a vote on
> whether this or that study result should be included in an article
> about it. This does not seem very likely to me. Moreover, I am
> strictly in favor of a process whereby all arguments from all sides
> *must* be properly summarized before a binding vote can take place, so
> that anyone who has an interest and a basic understanding can quickly
> get an overview of what the arguments are.

I agree that in order for a sample of community opinion (on any issue)
to have value, the framework must be appropriately established in
advance. But I'm afraid that a voting process with strict guidelines is
not something that the different sides of most content disputes will be
able to navigate together. While I have grave misgivings about content
arbitration, I'm not convinced that community votes are a better
solution, either.

Whatever the precise details, both parties would have to cooperate fully
with the vote in order to bring it off successfully. But in many
situations, the participants will already have a decent sense of which
position would prevail in a binding vote. This tends to become even
clearer as a dispute moves toward the stage where such a vote might
become plausible. The side that stands to lose will have no incentive to
cooperate in satisfying the requirements for the vote to be binding.

The problem with voting on questions of content is that it forces the
issue. When there is an explicit push for resolution like this, those
who anticipate an unfavorable result will delay, perhaps even actively
obstruct the process. They will object to the vote as premature and
won't put adequate effort into summarizing even their own position. They
may perhaps allow the vote to proceed "under protest", but then decline
to participate, and afterward dismiss the results as illegitimate
because the prerequisites were not satisfied.

--Michael Snow