[WikiEN-l] The (ab)use of disclaimers

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 21:02:00 UTC 2005

The fork tag/header is primarily intended as pointer
to other uses of the term. Using {{otheruses}} often
serves this quite well. The tendency for fork tags
(and template messages) to become abused as
disclaimer/definition tags is a pervasive trend, which
requires continuous pruning. Prune away.

In some cases, like with Libertarianism, there has
been some "consensus" to use a large disclaimer
header, but these are moreoften an eyesore. In that
case, it also represents an expression that "right
libertarianism" is "libertarianism" while other forms
are something else. Its not worth fighting over.
(Libertarians are as bad as Scientologists (or LDS, if
youre Eloquence)--just prune their excessiveness and
POV, (especially the overuse of
template:libertarianism) and state your reasoning for
doing so clearly.

In some cases, I'll accept something like "this
article is regarding foo. For other uses..." but I
highly dislike any other links, and likewise any other
"explanatory" language. Thats not what theyre for.
Something like "this article... for the type of foo...
for the foo..." can just be cut down to the above,
changing particular links to a disambiguation. (make
one if none). Nobody wants to read "for the heavy
metal band named Saint Foo, see Saint Foo (band)" when
their looking for religion.

SV