[WikiEN-l] Re: Plagiarism Policy, was A Missing Policy

Laura Scudder laurascudder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:36:15 UTC 2005

I was always taught that if you can find the same fact in three
sources that don't reference a common source then it's "common
knowledge" (you could find that fact so many places it doesn't warrant
referencing).  So in this case if one or two obits had a really unique
fact (one of mine had an anecdote about getting into a brawl outside
Senate chambers and subsequently being politically discredited) then I
would reference it, but if the rest of the bio you write contains
facts that are in all five I wouldn't reference them but pick the good
ones as further reading or external links.

Laura Scudder