[WikiEN-l] Thank you RickK

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Jul 10 15:45:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 05:55:58AM -0600, Fred Bauder wrote:
> The jewel is in the lotus, beauty that arises from muck.

Indeed.  I'm prompted to wonder how something whose value, even to its
creators, lies in other measures than profits, and whose status as
"unfinished" is simply an indicator that the human race is not finished
either, can be insulted by pointing out those positive characteristics.
>From where I'm sitting, it seems the knowledge is the reward, and
continued growth is a good thing.  As for credibility, it seems to me
that Wikipedia (and now Wikinews as well, to mention another project
with which I'm somewhat familiar) has at least drawn even with, if not
surpassed, the dubious credibility of other encyclopedic and
journalistic sources.  Maybe I'm wrong to view this from points of view
other than those of Britannica and New York Times editors, but that's
what I see, particularly when Wikipedia and Wikinews are being sourced
by news agencies and educational efforts with whom Wikimedia projects
are sometimes characterized as competing.

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so (obviously).

--
Chad Perrin
[ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org]