[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 7 02:50:16 UTC 2005

Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 07/07/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>AFAIK we have not yet received any official take-down orders.  That's
>>disturbing in its own peculiar way.  Receiving a few of these gives us
>>an idea of which way the wind is blowing.  Without them we are only
>>speculating about what might happen.  Until we receive such notices it
>>should be enough to be reasonable.  Winnability should not enter into
>>the discussion until after the notice.  So far, case reports don't give
>>a conclusive picture, but some decisions have been favorable.  I'm
>>probably more optimistic than you.
>>

>This is quite an interesting comment. Has there been much in the way
>of informal contact about such matters? (an email saying "we're a
>little concerned about X" and it getting pulled or an agreement
>reached, &c)

Maintaining registers of even the informal requests would be useful
information.  There is, of course, no need to comply with these.
Nevertheless some will bring to our attention copyvios that are only
still there because nobody noticed.  Some will be invalid because the
person doesn't know what he is talking about; others because the person
has no standing to make such a demand.

Ec