[WikiEN-l] Re: Desysoping

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 01:43:35 UTC 2005

HI sorry to answer so late, but I was away for the week, and I think I
needed to add a very important point to your answer Karl.

Karl A. Krueger a écrit:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:51:46PM +0100, Anthere wrote:

>>There is an easy way to do this : have it a requirement that listing the
>>person on the admin/deadmin list be made  by a sysop himself.
>

> There is a model wherein privileges are conferred upon persons in
> recognition of innate virtues, and it is presumed that whatever these
> persons care to do with those privileges, they will do so in ways
> conformant to those innate virtues.  The commoners are not deemed
> competent to judge the privileged:  only a peer can judge a peer.  This
> is called aristocracy.

This is not why I proposed it.
The real (unfortunate truth) is that if anyone is allowed to begin a
request for desysoping a person, there will be a real mess as in
particular trolls will rush start such pages.
So, when I suggest that only sysops be allowed to do this, I rather rely
on the fact that if a complaint seems reasonable, there will always be a
sysop to support it and open a page for comment.

Maybe I am being too optimistic on this... :-)
But generally, when someone shows me a sysop did something weird, I am
the first one to potentially support the complainer.

But well, something similar could be obtained I supposed by accepting a
request as potentially valid as soon as at least 3 people approved it.
Now, I fear that 3 trolls could unite...

So, the only thing that really happen is that in spite of abuse
sometimes, desysoping is rarely done at all.

> There is another model where responsibilities and the powers to carry
> them out are conferred upon persons deemed likely to do so correctly,
> but wherein those persons' actions are always subject to review.  The
> people are (collectively) deemed competent to judge those thus
> empowered, and to remove them from office by due process of recall or
> simply by not re-electing them.  This is called republicanism.

This is called the arbitration committee :-)

Ant

PS : by the way, about a year ago, I proposed a process on meta about
sysops. First, an inactive sysop is removed from sysop list. Second, any
sysop must be confirmed every year.
This process was accepted and is currently working.