[WikiEN-l] ISPs are private when logged in? Good idea

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:51:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:28:01 -0800 (PST), Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I understood a previous recent letter here, then Admins
> and Sysops cannot find out a user's ISP when they are
> logged in.  Is this correct?

Replace "ISP" ("Internet Service Provider") with "IP" (short for "IP
address", the unique identifier every computer gives out during all
sorts of requests online) and yes, this is correct. It is one of the
benefits listed on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Why_create_an_account?

As noted there and, more expansively, at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Draft_privacy_policy (see the sections
headed "Identification of an author" and "Private logging"), your IP
address is still recorded for a short period *as it is by almost any
web-site you visit*, and in particular circumstances may be retrieved
by developers, but it is most definitely *not* available through the
wiki software itself, even if the user has "sysop" (aka "admin")
privileges.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]