[WikiEN-l] One reason why Wikipedia is not presently classroom-safe

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 20:43:42 UTC 2005

--- Tony Sidaway <minorityreport at bluebottle.com>

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_dictionary)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/Donkey_punch

> Although the article has only been listed for only
> two days, so far there
> is a 2:1 majority vote for keep.
> In my opinion this kind of article would render
> Wikipedia difficult to
> describe as "safe for classroom use"; also teachers
> recommending it to
> younger children for homework research would be put
> at risk of censure
> because of articles like this.  Whatever those who
> voted think Wikipedia
> is, a classroom-safe reference work is clearly not
> number one on the list.
> This doesn't render Wikipedia content forever
> inaccessible to classrooms,
> however.  This and other articles of its type are in
> the category "Sex
> moves".  These could be filtered out easily during
> production of a
> classroom-safe copy of Wikipedia.

And people say the slippery slope argument is a
fallacy.  Now that it appears that we've bowdlerized
the autofellatio article, it's fair game to go after
every other article with a sexual content?

RickK