[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Wed Feb 16 20:35:24 UTC 2005

Christopher Mahan said:

> Should the Jack Daniels logo be linked then, seeing
> as it might be quite offensive to a billion muslims?

Yes, the questions for NPOV of adopting an "offensive images" policy,
while not insoluble, are not trivial.  If we censor images, why not words
that are offensive?  Maybe we're not going to be available to a billion
Chinese people (the fastest growing web population in the world, I
believe) because some of  the things we say offend quite a lot of them,
particularly the ones who decide whether a cybercafe gets shut down.  What
do we do, cave in?