[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Jim Trodel trodel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:04:17 UTC 2005

> No, your question is a subset of the greater question I answered: Can
> NPOV and Censorship abide in the same body of work?

OK so the bigger issue is: Requiring some images to be a link IS in
itself incompatible with NPOV?

I disagree - having different levels of availability but having all
information available is NPOV in fact it shows respect to those
cultures and is a better NPOV because wikipedia isn't pushing the
"everyone should see everything" POV.

> > Why is the compromise, i.e. "To not include the image inline but
> > make it accessible by a link" not considered reasonable?
> > **************
>
> Because unless all photos are shown through links, the ones that are
> will be "flagged", essentially singled out as potentially offensive
> to a group or groups. Should the Jack Daniels logo be linked then,
> seeing as it might be quite offensive to a billion muslims? This will
> only reinforce the notion that wikipedia editors are biased. And
> that's Not Good for our NPOV aims.

Why not - as has been stated - no information is lost - and is not
that showing sensitivity towards other cultures - I don't see how
having respect for certain cultures is pushing a point of view. If
someone made that argument on the Jack Daniels page then I woul

> Are you saying it's bad that 11 and 12 year old prostitutes exist?
> The practice had been around for thousands of years, is alive and
> well today, and will most likely go on for quite some time. Are you
> inserting a personal value judgment? On this list, fine. Keep it out
> of the WP though.
>
> I am not saying what my morality dictates. It is not relevent to the
> creating of the encyclopedia.

Yep - I am saying that - and slavery and pre-teen prostitition are
*BAD* and IMHO evil. And images of 11 and 12 year old prostitutes
performing their services would be out of bounds on wikipedia. This is
not pushing POV, this is being a human. And I am glad to see that
[[Sex tourism]] includes a link on law enforcement targetting this
practice.

> There is a link. [[Autofellatio]]. There. Happy?
Exactly - and thanks though once is enough for me.

Jim (trodel at gmail.com) [[User:Trodel]]