[WikiEN-l] The Censorship Lie

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 16 20:08:05 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote:

> That's an odd argument.  It reminds me of the argument some people
> make when they say women who wear "provocative" clothing are "asking
> for it."

But that argument should not be dismissed so lightly as some kind of
blame-the-victim tactic.  I've had similar questions come up in a
parent-teacher discussion about highschool dress codes.  Teenage girls
tend to respond very much to peer pressure in fashion trends.  Burying
their heads in the sand on this subject tends to leave their but ends
invitingly in the air.  They often have no idea about the messages they
are sending.

If this provocation leads to a "rape" the law may very well succeed in
punishing the "rapist", but it does nothing to get the "victim" to
accept her share of the responsibility for her actions.

Ec