[WikiEN-l] Re: Autofellatio - NO to that image

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 18:25:57 UTC 2005

--- Rebecca <misfitgirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really, I think we could do with some intervention from Jimbo on
> this
> issue.  I'm a rabid leftie, and one reason I chose to study law was
> because I detest censorship. Yet, at the same time, I utterly
> refuse
> to have to put vile censorship software on my own computer to avoid
> seeing inline what shouldn't be there in the first place. I could
> really care less about some of the more minor ones, such as
> [[Clitoris]], but I'm on record as saying that the day [[Goatse]]
> and
> similar articles receive according pictures is the day that I leave
> Wikipedia and demand that every trace of my involvement on this
> site
> be removed. I love this site, but I would no longer want to be
> personally associated with such a place.

To address the point "what shouldn't be there in the first place":

I suggest that the current conflict resolution process is not
adequate to meet the challenge posed by such image insertion.

I personally don't care for the photo, but, as has been said on this
list, the general wiki process would, in time, rectify the situation.

I think that to meet the need of many people, the media (photo,
whatever) itself needs to be tagged as potentially offensive, and
replaced with an image indicating that the linked media is deemed
offensive, but where such image is clickable to reach the linked
image.

Finally, there needs to be a formal process for complaint, which
would result in the media being image-linked upon receipt of the
complaint, and a formal process similar to arbcom set up to decide on
media inclusion, alternative media, and so on.

Currently these efforts take place all over wikipedia and in lists
and IRC and plenty of people take cheap shots at each other.

This would satisfy the casual browser, like me, as well as those who
wish greater depth of knowledge, like me.

Again, Ambi, I apologize for the bar reference.

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com