top posting (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: new user)

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:57:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:29:39 +0200, NSK <nsk2 at wikinerds.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to top-post, so that we won't be required to downscroll
> pages of text just to read a paragraph? (alternatively, wouldn't it be better
> to quote just a line or two?)
>
> Anyone knows how to make KMail display my signature properly in topposting?
>
> --
> NSK
> http://portal.wikinerds.org

I find gmail very useful for the large amounts of thread-based email
conservations that an email list gets. It keeps messages in their own
threads (by and large), displays all messages in the thread when you
call it up (but already read messages are collapsed by default, one
click expands them). Any messages in a thread can be
expanded/collapsed. Quoted text is by default hidden (a click expands
it). Generally it's just nicely designed - better than Thunderbird
(which I use for personal/work mail) for long thread-based
conversations.

Although you can bottom post or top post - the nicest thing is that it
doesn't matter so much whether someone top/bottom posts to you, and it
doesn't even matter if they quote the WHOLE conversation!

I wouldn't use gmail for other stuff though, as all mail is scanned
(in theory just for ad placement). Ads are not distracting, as they
are just text, and in a long conversation, usually only at the end
rather than the side. Plus I like to possess my own mail where
personal and work stuff is concerned. I can't imagine having all my
personal mail stuck on a  webmail account!!!

Oh, and with gmail, it's great for keeping/searching back through old
threads. There's no adverse side-effects to keeping every message. I
haven't particularly used it for this list, but one of my other
mailing lists (Irish railway news in fact) is full of interesting and
useful information that I might want to find later.

Zoney

P.S. Disclaimers: No I don't work for Google, I don't think they are
great just because I like gmail, I'm not necessarily in favour of
their advertising methods (though it's a good way to make money), and
so on.

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...