top posting (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: new user)

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Feb 16 06:42:27 UTC 2005

NSK wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to top-post, so that we won't be required to downscroll
> pages of text just to read a paragraph? (alternatively, wouldn't it be better
> to quote just a line or two?)
>
> Anyone knows how to make KMail display my signature properly in topposting?

I (typically) bottom-post because top-posting is counterintuitive for
purposes of following the thread of a conversation.  I cut out quoted
text that is unlikely to be necessary for recalling context of a
statement.  I tend to err on the conservative side for cutting quoted
text, however.  Scrolling down while reading strikes me as less
problematic than reading, then scrolling down if context is needed, then
scrolling back up again while reading, sometimes with scrolling down if
one of the intermediary posts is longer than a single screen in length.

It reverses the conventional order of reading.
How is it confusing?
It's confusing to read.
Why is it a bad idea to top-post?

--
Chad

(PS:  I think KMail automatically sticks the signature at the top if you
have preferences set for top posting -- if I recall correctly, KMail
allows that sort of preference tweaking.  To post your signature at the
bottom while top posting, I think you'll have to set preferences for
bottom posting, then scroll back to the top to type your reply.)