[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Tue Feb 15 10:03:18 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight said:

> Unfortunately, instead of compromising, a vote was resorted to, which
> killed any chance at compromise.
>
> This is an object lesson in why votes should be used rarely if ever to
> decide things on Wikipedia.

I think this is a mischaracterization.  The survey showed the (to my mind)
astonishing popularity of the inlining option; it was clear before Jimbo
intervened that a consensus to link would build slowly, if at all, in the
face of strong (40%+) opposition.  Several compromises were being actively
considered at the time and in fact one of those compromises is in
operation on the article now.