[WikiEN-l] Template madness

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 10:31:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:49:33 -0800 (PST), Daniel Mayer
<maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > At 07:58 PM 2/11/2005 -0800, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> > >That is what talk pages and edit comments are for.
> >
> > Hear hear. Wikimedia has tons of wonderful features for assisting editors,
> > but the actual text of the article that we're using them to write is
> > intended primarily for _readers'_ benefit IMO. The "meta" stuff should be
> > hidden behind-the-scenes wherever humanly possible.
>
> Then could you or anybody else who cares about this go to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)#Moving_tags_to_talk_pages.3F
> and comment?
>
> My moving campaign has brought this to a head and may result in a policy one
> way or the other.
>
> -- mav

No. I won't support an outright "removing tags to talk page". Like I
said, some indicator needs to be given to the oft-times
none-too-discerning public. Now I agree that the current templates go
much much further, and offer editing instructions, and furthermore,
some templates are definitely designed for the talk page, not the main
article page.

But with NPOV warnings, and suchlike, SOME indication should be
provided on the article page to READERS that all is not well. I see
Geni / my suggestion of simple messages (at most 3/4 severities of
warning) with a pointer to talk for those who wish to get involved, as
a sensible suggestion.

I have outlined reasons why I think this is at least *better than the
current situation*. (Yes, the message may not be seen on mirrors - but
this is true for current templates, and for no (on talk only)
templates)

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...