[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 06:37:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:26:22 -0800, Nicholas Knight
<nknight at runawaynet.com> wrote:

> On this list I've seen exactly one argument, and that rather
> half-hearted, as to why it's not crap. I'm of the impression, due to
> their own statements, that nobody here is thrilled with the image, and
> are simply labouring under some sort of impression that Wikipedia has
> some bizarre obligation to provide it.

The photograph is limited in that it is cropped so that it is not
explicitly an act of autofellatio. I think it probably is, but I would
have preferred an image that made it quite clear.

However, my beef is not with the image per se. I reckon if you go
looking for the Autofellatio article, you shouldn't be surprised or
shocked if you find material relating to the subject.

My problem is the argument that could be raised that Wikipedia is a
repository for explicit images that are inappropriate for children and
therefore the site should be blocked by educational institutions and
concerned parents. I think we should take steps to address this before
it suddenly takes top billing on talkback shows.
--
Peter in Canberra