[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Feb 14 03:24:47 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>> Nicholas Knight wrote:
>>
>>> I continue to see no usefulness in it, and the "why not" is because
>>> people _will not use wikipedia_, and quite likely, existing editors
>>> would leave. I certainly would if this became an accepted part of
>>> Wikipedia. It would be a final demonstration that the people here are
>>> not the least bit interested in constructing a useful educational
>>> resource, but seek only to shove a social agenda down other's throats.
>>

>> Now you've really lost me.  Who seeks "only to shove a social agenda
>> down other's [sic] throats"?  What social agenda do you mean?  This
>> isn't some kind of moral objection to the act of autofellatio, is it?
>

> No, it's an objection to shoving explicit and disgusting images in what
> is supposed to be an encyclopedia for the purpose of trying to force the
> world to somehow "de-prudify" itself.

Who exactly is trying to push that agenda?  Do you mean to suggest that
everyone that opposes your interpretation is pushing that agenda?

Personally, I am not trying to "de-prudify" the world in any way.  I'm
merely interested in an informative encyclopedia whose effectiveness is
not limited by prudishness.  Making the encyclopedia effective by
"de-prudifying" its policies and trying to "de-prudify" the world aren't
even marginally equivalent.  If you aren't referring to me some class of
people including me, though, I'd like to know what you mean.

--
Chad