[WikiEN-l] Re: Goodbye

Nicholas Knight nknight at runawaynet.com
Sun Feb 13 19:32:12 UTC 2005

Pete/Pcb21 wrote:
> Nicholas Knight wrote:
>
>> Rick did not know it was a proxy (how could he have?) [..]
>

> So you are saying blocking an IP about which you know nothing is _not_ a
> problem?

Nowhere, NOWHERE did I come CLOSE to implying there was no problem, only
that Rick can't be blamed for taking perfectly reasonable action.

IPs are summarily blocked for vandalism _all the time_. Occasionally a
legitimate proxy gets caught in the mix. When it happens, it gets
corrected and the IP is added to a list of known proxies in the hopes
that the situation is avoided in the future. This is not at all unusual,
and Rick is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the first admin to
block a previously unknown legitimate proxy through which vandalism was
being performed.

If you've got some magic way to detect legitimate proxies so admins
don't accidentally block their IPs, we'd all love to hear it. Attacking
Rick for doing the best he could in a bad situation is NOT a solution.