[WikiEN-l] More thoughts on the 3-revert rule

Bill Konrad bkonrad123 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 13 15:39:11 UTC 2005

geni wrote:
>I blocked the user so I suspose I had better explain

Geni, just to be clear, I'm not faulting you or accusing you in any way and
I'm sorry if I implied that. My questions were aimed at trying to reach a
broader understanding and consensus about when the 3RR should be applied. I
think the operative phrasing in the 3RR is that it is "intended as a means
to stop sterile edit wars".  If anyone, I have a problem with Netoholic
immediately resorting to the 3RR as a legalistic maneuver to essentially
slap my face. Though it may not be what he intended, he was successful in
both insulting me and in undermining whatever respect I had for him as a
wikipedia editor. Whatever the number of reverts made, that dispute had made
progress and was not a sterile edit war, so seeking retribution under the
3RR was in my opinion, very unwikilike and counterproductive. I mean, at a
minimum, I would have expected a warning from Netoholic saying that he was
planning to seek enforcement if I continued to revert. That would simply be
common decency.

I think having a blind threshold for the 3RR encourages revert-counting over
productive discussion.

bkonrad