[WikiEN-l] Neo-nazis to attack wikipedia

Jake Waskett jake at waskett.org
Sun Feb 6 23:24:14 UTC 2005

Unfortunately, this is not the first time that an activist group has decided
to target Wikipedia. I'm personally aware of one group, recruited through
anti-circumcision activist mailing lists, that have been systematically
pushing their POV at Wiki.

Whether one agrees with their cause or not is hardly relevant. Nor is whether
one is disgusted by their cause. The simple truth is this: if Wiki is to
become a credible, serious encyclopaedia, we *must* maintain NPOV. These
groups *oppose* NPOV.

What can be done about it? The present system is simply *not* *working*. It'll
handle the occasional abuse here and there, but the day-by-day, determined,
and methodical twisting of articles to suit some activist agenda seems
impossible to stop. A few brave souls try to maintain NPOV, but are limited
by the strength of numbers and the 3RR.

I suspect that this only affects a relatively small number of particularly
controversial articles. Perhaps a strategy needs to be devised for those
articles. What do people think?

Jake.