[WikiEN-l] Cheese Dreams/proposal for a *new* policy

Rhobite rhobite at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:11:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:50:51 -0800, Nicholas Knight
<nknight at runawaynet.com> wrote:
> Contact her ISP. If you can't get them to drop her, call the upstream
> provider(s). If that doesn't work, block every IP range associated with
> the ISP and tell anyone affected to complain to the ISP. Wikipedia is
> getting big, it's time to start throwing some weight around when users
> are engaging in wildly abusive activities.

That's one way to do it. At some point, someone official may want to
contact BT and see about getting her warned, although it's hard to
believe that they'll drop her from the service for this. The tactics
you describe are used by the anti-spam movement, but is her conduct as
damaging as that of a spammer? Assuming that BT doesn't drop her, is
Wikipedia prepared to embrace the "collateral damage" philosophy of
the antispammers? It's controversial. I won't get into the pro/con
arguments, but the debate is pretty heated. I'm not sure if this
response fits in with Wikipedia's philosophy. Blocking all BT dialups
would block many legitimate users.

Rhobite