[WikiEN-l] Cheese Dreams/proposal for a *new* policy

Nicholas Knight nknight at runawaynet.com
Sat Feb 5 16:50:51 UTC 2005

steven l. rubenstein wrote:
>> Cheesedreams is now editing under User:Cheese-Dreams. I thought all
>> the sockpuppets were blocked? I've blocked this one now anyway. --fvw*
>> 23:44, 2005 Jan 31 (UTC)
>> This is just a new sock. Sigh - I don't think CD gets it. --mav
>> Darling, your so wrong, I get it very well, I just ignore you,
>> darling. CheeseDreams 11:35, 5 Feb 2005 (UTC)
>> The other note is that CheeseDreams uses a dialup and this makes it
>> impossible to block her IP range. She can redial as many times as she
>> likes, and she doesn't need to use open proxies. Rhobite 04:28, Feb 1,
>> 2005 (UTC)
>> LOL, you cant stop me now, darling. CheeseDreams 11:35, 5 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Contact her ISP. If you can't get them to drop her, call the upstream
provider(s). If that doesn't work, block every IP range associated with
the ISP and tell anyone affected to complain to the ISP. Wikipedia is
getting big, it's time to start throwing some weight around when users
are engaging in wildly abusive activities.

"You are using <someISP> which harbours a user who has repeatedly
engaged in egregious abuses against Wikipedia. Because it is impractical
to block individual users of <someISP>, we have been forced to block
everyone using <someISP>. It is up to <someISP> to remove the abusive
user from their network. Users of <someISP> will remain blocked until
confirmation has been recieved from <someISP> that the abusive user's
service has been terminated. We urge you to contact <someISP> and
request that they take action.

<someISP contact information>"

The abuser will be gone, and the ISP will have a (potentially large) PR
problem until they decide to do the right thing.