[WikiEN-l] Opus Dei - have we become their publishing house?

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Wed Apr 20 06:48:33 UTC 2005

Alex Regh said:

On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

> Given that people still hit us with that one "checking" of WP where we
> didn't call the disputed birth date of somebody I never heard of
> "disputed" [1], well, if those people find that article, we will never
> hear the end of it - besides the minor problem of the article not
> exactly being up to WP standards, like NPOV. Something should be done,
> but as I said, I don't really feel I should do a rollback on my own.

Yes, I think I see your point.  Here's on paragraph that caught my eye:

For those who keep on talking about the secrets of the Work, Escriva has
this answer: "The secret of Opus Dei is prayer, and also work turned into
prayer." If Christians are not men and women of deep interior life, souls
of prayer and sacrifice, he warned the church officials who visited him
during the Second Vatican Council, then instead of putting society and the
family in order, they will just add their own disorder to the disorder
that is already there. (Berglar 1994, p. 248) This is the same teaching
indicated by John Paul II in Novo Millennio Ineunte as regards how to
reach the goal of holiness: "a training in the art of prayer."
This would certainly be appropriate for Opus Dei's own publications, but
in my opinion it's a bit too much of a recruitment manual to be
appropriate to Wikipedia.  Opus Dei's chief encyclopedic attributes, in
any case, are its influence within the Catholic Church, in secular life,
and the controversies surrounding it (not that fictitious nonsense Dan
Brown wrote, of course).