[WikiEN-l] On cultural sensitivity

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 16 21:58:54 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> First, whenever possible I think people should try to see if a "link"
> solution is helpful.  It does not reduce the educational value of an
> article by much if a potentially disturbing image is put behind a link
> instead of being shown by default inline.  And one of the quite
> reasonable arguments against certain images is that their shock value
> serves to diminish the educational value of the articles in which they
> are included.

Another technique that could prove useful in some cases would be to
insure that possibly offensive pictures are not near the top of an
article.  This would avoid shocked reactions from first reactions by
people who just came to the page.  The picture would not be visible
until the reader has scrolled down the page.

Ec