[WikiEN-l] Titanic, illustrated

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 16:27:21 UTC 2005

--- Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 09:07:48AM -0700, Rick
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> > >The matter seems to be settled, somewhat,
> > > by now with a
> > > close-up of Winslet that doesn't challenge
> > > sensibilities, though.
> >
> > It's only settled because the image was
> bowdlerized
> > while the ifd discussion was still going on.
> >

> Do you think the new image doesn't serve the
> purposes of the article as
> well as the old image?  If so, I encourage you to
> support that opinion
> and, if I find myself in agreement, I'd throw my
> support behind your
> opinion insofar as I'm willing to even be involved
> in the discussion.  I
> haven't heard/seen any indication that anyone thinks
> this new image is
> worse than the previous, and the consensus seems
> (from my extremely
> limited investigation) to be that it's actually a
> better image, with the
> possible exception of this one comment from you.
> Please correct me if
> I'm wrong.

Honestly, no, the censored image does not serve a more
useful function.  The scene of DiCaprio's character
sketching a semi-nude Winslet character is integral to
the plot of the story.  A cropped photo of Winslet's
face may be fine as an illustration of the [[Kate
Winslet]] article, but not for the Titanic article.

RickK