[WikiEN-l] Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Zach Alexander zdalexander at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 01:45:44 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

> But wouldn't it be better if we let people choose which types of images
> they wanted to display? Turning off all images removes all the images
> in
> the article, while a content-filtering system would be specific to
> images deemed offensive by the reader.

This really is the only long term solution. We add some buttons in
Special:Preferences, and have two or three options -- e.g.
uncensored/moderate/strict. Explicit content would automatically be
filtered from then on, or not.

It would involve more work coding, and more work maintaining tags on
explicit content, and arguments about whether [[Image:Y]] should get
tagged as explicit or not, and so on. But there's no other long term
solution I can think of, because we do need to have boobs and
clitorises in the appropriate places, but people do need to have a way
not to see them if they'd rather not. (Making the user disable images
doesn't count as a solution.) A fork on the basis of censorship would
be unlikely after then.

Zach