[WikiEN-l] Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Faraaz Damji frazzydee at spymac.com
Fri Apr 15 00:37:21 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> Not really.  There are those who promote the concept of "work safe" and
> those who use their browsers in a manner that does not conflict with their
> employers' standards.

But wouldn't it be better if we let people choose which types of images
they wanted to display? Turning off all images removes all the images in
the article, while a content-filtering system would be specific to
images deemed offensive by the reader.  Also, they won't have to browse
with all images off, but can instead choose to see some images as links.

If this is more widely used, it might even allow us *more* flexibility
in displaying images, like in [[autofellatio]] (just an example!), since
we can now use the argument that if you don't want to see it just turn
the blocking feature on.

And let's get real here: Not everybody knows how to turn images off.
Sure, you can say they 'should' know, and we shouldn't cater to their
needs, but isn't it a step ahead if we can make the site more accessible
to people?

--
Blog: http://frazzydee.ca