[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia sock puppet subscribing me to junkmail

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Wed Apr 13 20:38:03 UTC 2005

Recently I have had a deluge of junkmail, and I have a pretty good idea
who it is. One of emails (below), from LeadFactory.com, included the IP
address of the person who subscribed me.

I had a hunch, considering, one, a lot of it is right-wing U.S. and
Israeli email (of which related articles I've been editing lately) and,
two, it's the first junkmail I've ever received at this address. So I
plugged the address into Wikipedia and whatta ya know, a probable sock
puppet who has been especially abusive to me recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
Contributions&target=155.84.57.253

You might also like to check out some of the sock puppet's responses to
requests to stop vandalism and 3RR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:155.84.57.253

I also did a geographic trace on the IP and they're from Houston Texas.

Can this IP address be permanently banned or something? Is there anyone
who can check the address against other usernames?

Christiaan