[WikiEN-l] Protecting "Today's Featured Article"

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 16:18:05 UTC 2005

--- David 'DJ' Hedley <spyders at btinternet.com> wrote:
> The featured article will probably never be a current event, and as theres
> not much that can be added to it, I can't see any dis-advantage in
> protecting it on that day. As you can see from yesterday, there are a lot of
> reversions and yet next to no worthy contributions to Kasparov (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Garry_Kasparov&action=history).
> Before I intervened at 21:18, vandalism had been standing for two and a half
> hours. Even the reverts of users were getting caught out due to the level of
> vandalism.

Equally, though, a lot of good-faith editors read (and add fixes) to the daily
Featured Article. It's quite possible for articles to be improved through the
fierce attention received, despite the vandalism. For example, today, on
[[Caesar cipher]], Ciaran_H corrected an error on one of the examples that
hadn't been picked up on before. Myself, I've made many minor edits to daily
featured articles in the past while reading them -- if I had to wait until the
next day, I wouldn't have bothered, and they would have been too trivial to
note on the talk page.

Matt