[WikiEN-l] April Fool's Day next year

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 16:20:15 UTC 2005

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> Of all the ideas that I saw proposed, I think that the absolute best
> compromise between those who love the holiday and those who are not
> great fans of it would be to have the main page be 100% real and
> accurate in every last respect, but *also* to have it be filled with
> stories that people would naturally suspect to be hoaxes.
>
> [[Exploding whale]] is a nice example, as is [[Holy prepuce]] (which
> was a real featured article already).

Exactly! The trouble this time was that the FAs that a person may have mistaken
for April Fools jokes were already featured on the Main Page by the time April
1 came around. Next time these should be kept in reserve and then the best of
that crop could be the April 1 TFA. 'Did you know...' could also be subverted
for a day from displaying interesting facts that are in new articles to very
unusual facts from some of our more off the wall - but still correct and real -
articles.

-- mav