[WikiEN-l] [mrjung at MIT.EDU: DMCA Notification of Infringement Letter]

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Sep 24 20:59:10 UTC 2004

----- Forwarded message from Michael Jung <mrjung at MIT.EDU> -----

From: Michael Jung <mrjung at MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:47:06 -0400
To: jwales at bomis.com
Subject: DMCA Notification of Infringement Letter

September 24, 2004

Jimmy Wales, President
Wikimedia Foundation
3911 Harrisburg St. NE
St. Petersburg, FL 33703

Dear Mr. Wales,

I am writing to you to avail Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) of
its rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). This letter
is a Notice of Infringement as authorized in § 512(c) of the U.S. Copyright
Law. I wish to report an instance of what I feel in good faith is an
instance of copyright infringement. The infringing material appears on the
Service for which you are the designated agent.

You are registered with the U.S. Copyright Office as the Designated Service
Provider Agent to receive notifications of alleged Copyright infringement
with respect to users of the Service for which you are the Designated Agent.

1. The material which I contend belongs to MIT, and appears illegally on
the Service is the following: A photograph of Grigori Perelman.

2. The material appears at the website address:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Perelman.jpg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Perelman.jpg.

3. My contact information is as follows:

Michael R. Jung
Associate Counsel for Intellectual Property
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Five Cambridge Center, NE25-230
Cambridge, MA 02142
617.253.1606
mrjung at mit.edu

4. I have a good faith belief that the use of the material that appears on
the service is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by
operation of law.

5. The information in this notice is accurate, and I am authorize to act on
behalf of the copyright owner.

I declare under the perjury laws of the United States of America that this
notification is true and correct.

Formalities aside, I would be happy to discuss this issue with you and the
need to have this photograph removed from your site as quickly as possible,
my number is above.

By typing my name below I affirm this as my digital signature:

/s/ Michael R Jung

Michael R. Jung
Associate Counsel for Intellectual Property
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Five Cambridge Center, NE 25-230
Cambridge, MA  02142-1493

Phone: (617)253-1606
Fax: (617)253-1850
mrjung at mit.edu

This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. Delivery of this message to any person other than the
intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality,
privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
"La nèfle est un fruit." - first words of 50,000th article on fr.wikipedia.org