[WikiEN-l] Troll?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Nov 14 07:41:44 UTC 2004

Charles Matthews wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote
>

>>Of course bad faith trolling is not to be condoned, but the same can't
>>be said of good faith trolling when it succeeds in waking people up.
>>

>Ray, troll-folk are not slow to make this argument for themselves.  I hardly
>think this list needs its complacency undermined, or whatever you think
>you're doing with this special pleading.  It is wretched stuff.

I agree that fisherman are competent at baiting their hooks.  I would
never have taken the participants on this list to be complacent; if
anything, they have a tendency for the other extreme.  We're full of
Humpty Dumptys whose words mean exactly what they choose them to mean -
neither more nor less.   I would not consider my consideration of a word
to be so lofty as to require "special" pleading.  If a pleading it be, I
would think it more properly directed to the pleasures of language, and
to an appreciation of the subtleties that light a contrary meaning in a
sky of darkness.  "Wretched," yes.  It is important to be charitable
towa\rd those wallowing hippo wretches on the litoral of the litteral
sea. :-)

Ec