[WikiEN-l] Re: w to properly use articles from an outside GFDL source?

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 10:48:42 UTC 2004

I regret, again, that this is discussed only on the english list.

I repeat again that copyright issues, and the issue you raise are
wikipedia topic large, not english restricted only.

Tomos at Wikipedia wrote:
> Mav, you are right in that the effect is limited because we cannot
> retroactively apply the second license to past edits. But if we consider
> the effect, it seems it is still better to introduce it than not, and we
> would do just as Electicology suggested:
>
>> If "new" licence is chosen, then it could be noted that all
>> contributions after a decided year would come under the new licence.
>> If a contributor was also active before that date any contribution
>> that he makes after that date will carry a retroactive application of
>> the licence to his previous edits.  We can deal with the others later.
>

> If you think about the fact that village pump is used daily, for
> example, the introduction of such license would prevent further
> violation quite effectively. So are the increasing amount of Template:
> texts and wikiproject templates that will be developed in the future.
> Some materials are sent to meta. And many language-wikipedias perhaps
> translate some of key policies from English Wikipedia first.

That is absolutely no argument to LIMIT the discussion to english list.
Many language wikipedias ALSO wish to be part of the discussion, and for
this discussion requires to be done at the right place Tomos.

If you believe that all wikipedias will only just copy the english rules
and policies passively, I think you are very deeply in the wrong.