[WikiEN-l] Re: w to properly use articles from an outside GFDL source?

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 23:56:30 UTC 2004

Mav, you are right in that the effect is limited because we cannot
retroactively apply the second license to past edits. But if we consider the
effect, it seems it is still better to introduce it than not, and we would
do just as Electicology suggested:

>If "new" licence is chosen, then it could be noted that all contributions
>after a decided year would come under the new licence.  If a contributor
>was also active before that date any contribution that he makes after that
>date will carry a retroactive application of the licence to his previous
>edits.  We can deal with the others later.

If you think about the fact that village pump is used daily, for example,
the introduction of such license would prevent further violation quite
effectively. So are the increasing amount of Template: texts and wikiproject
templates that will be developed in the future. Some materials are sent to
meta. And many language-wikipedias perhaps translate some of key policies
from English Wikipedia first.

(Besides, Japanese Wiktionary has just started, making it even more
reasonable to dual license it.)

While I am not intended to push the idea at this point, it should happen
sooner than later, and being late is better than never, it seems.

(Disclaimer:I am not a lawyer.)

Regards,

Tomos