[WikiEN-l] More on recipes

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat May 22 20:17:22 UTC 2004

Peter Jaros wrote:

> I think chocolate cake is a broad enough topic to have sections, or
> perhaps separate articles, about different kinds of chocolate cake,
> each of which can be illustrated by an appropriate example recipe.
> Presumably, any food topic this broad will be similarly divisible.

Where there are identifiable distinct types that are commonly made, that
makes sense.  In many cases though, you can vary almost any of the
ingredients, which results in an exponential number of possible
recipes.  It'd make more sense (to me) to describe it in a prose style
instead of a recipe style, saying things like "in some areas walnuts or
chestnuts are commonly added on top", or "a number of other ingredients,
including orange peel, nutmeg, coffee grinds, ... are sometimes added"
(examples made up on the spot).

-Mark