[WikiEN-l] Wik2 arbitration case

Lee Pilich lee at audiblerecords.com
Fri May 21 02:18:22 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Seeing as it was such a high-profile case, I thought I'd let you know about
the state the Wik arbitration is in.

The case is not fully closed: there are still matters (concerning Cantus as
much as Wik) under consideration. However, quite a few points received
majority support from the arbitrators, so these can be considered finished
with. These decided points can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Wik2/Decided

Among other things, a number of shortish bans have been decided upon (seven
days for Wik, one day each for Nico and Cantus). However, at time of
writing, these have not been implemented by me or anybody else. I would
rather a non-arbitrator sysop implements them than one of the committee. I
think there are a number of advantages to this, which I won't bore you with
here (I'll explain if pressed). If anybody wants to implement those bans,
go ahead - please note that you have done so in the relevant bit of
[[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Wik2/Decided]]. I would just note,
however, that Wik's recent edit to his user page may be taken as a sign
that he is leaving the Wikipedia, so a block there may be superfluous to
requirements.

On a personal note: this hasn't been an easy case to handle. It involved a
lot of articles, and a lot of edits. Obviously, there were mixed feelings
about the case among the community as a whole: Wik has a number of
supporters who I have a great deal of respect for, as well as a number of
detractors who I also respect, and I don't think any of their views are
unreasonable. Wik himself obviously makes valuable edits, but that had to
be weighed against the distress that he was causing good users. So it was
tricky. Thanks to you all for being so patient and so on.

All the best
Lee