[WikiEN-l] Re: Historian: origin of apparent "policy" re recipes and how-tos?

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Thu May 13 00:38:22 UTC 2004

I would like to note that we discussed this matter in February, and
although perhaps no consensus was formed on policy, I continue to stand
by my statements on the topic, particularly that how-tos, recipes, and
similar didactic texts are inherently POV and don't belong on Wikipedia
proper.

<http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-February/010873.html>
<http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-February/010883.html>

Note, however, that information about this kind of content is decidedly
NPOV.

For examples of articles about culturally-important dishes that are not
ridiculous strawmen, see:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guacamole>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella>

There was a small edit war/debate about what ingredients are permitted
in Paella (see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Paella>). One can only
imagine what kind of chaos that debate would have engendered if there
had been a recipe. And who knows if the resulting recipe would have even
been edible! :-)

In any case, the point is that there is no such thing as a neutral
recipe, only a neutral "meta-recipe".

- David